UK: UDV focuses on Gold to drive Tequila category
Guinness UDV is to stress the qualities of premium Tequila in an attempt to drive the perception and performance of the whole category in its latest advertising campaign for its brand Jose Cuervo.
The company, which distributes Cuervo in the UK, says it believes premium Tequila holds the "key to the development of the category", and will therefore be focusing marketing efforts on Cuervo Gold.
"Cheap (white and silver) Tequila has a reputation that continues to impede long term growth," Josephine Villegas, brand manager for Cuervo Gold said. "Consumers see it primarily as a drink for slamming. We need to encourage people to think about additional ways of enjoying Tequila in order to drive usage and trial."
UDV Guinness told just-drinks it believes the smoother more accessible taste of Cuervo Gold opens it up to different drinking occasions including the use of the drink as a mixer or in a cocktail.
In order to achieve its goals the company is to launch a series of consumer marketing and on-trade education to bar tenders. The Consumer activity will include a national press advertising campaign in the form of advertorials in style magazines such as Maxim and GQ promoting the mixabilty of Cuervo Gold.
At the centre of the push is a cocktail designed by the Guinness UDV team called Cuervo Gold Zest. Inspired by the margarita and launched after extensive consumer research, Zest is a mix of Cuervo Gold, Bitter lemon and a wedge of fresh lime.
German spirits group Borco has struck a distribution deal in India for its Sierra Tequila brand....
The US and Mexico have struck an agreement on Tequila allowing US distributors to import the spirit in bulk and bottle it north of the border....
Blavod Extreme Spirits is in talks to expand distribution of El Diamante del Cielo Tequila in the US....
Hayman Distillers has unveiled the first phase of its relaunch for the Scorpion Tequila brand with new packaging for the Gold and Silver variants in the range. ...
The Blavod Extreme Spirits joint venture Diamante Spirits is to produce and market a new Tequila, El Diamante del Cielo (Diamond in the Sky). The new product will have a retail value between US$45-60 ...
Government inspectors carrying out checks on bars, restaurants and nightclubs in the greater Athens area have found that 100% of samples of rum and tequila had been adulterated....
Spanish brewer Estrella Galicia is to invest €30m between 2006-08 to grow its domestic wine and water businesses, a company spokeswoman confirmed to just-drinks....
Mexico, the US and Canada will sign an accord aimed at boosting the quality of Tequila-based produced outside Mexico, a spokeswoman for supplier's lobby Consejo Regulador del Tequila (CRT) confirmed t...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends