INDIA: UBL sees Q1 profits soar
India's largest beer maker United Breweries (UBL) today saw first-quarter net profit almost double.
UBL, brewer of Kingfisher lager, posted net income of INR275.3m (US$5.8m) for the three months to the end of June. That compared to net earnings of INR138.3m a year earlier.
Net sales reached INR1.9bn, a slight rise on INR1.6bn a year earlier.
UBL, in which the UK's largest brewer, Scottish & Newcastle owns a 37.5% stake, could not be reached for further comment when just-drinks went to press.
The brewer controls around 48% of India's burgeoning beer market, ahead of nearest rival SABMiller, which has a market share of around 31%.
South African Breweries is seeking a meeting with the country's competition watchdog next month to hold talks on allegations that it has broken competition rules on distribution....
Belgian beer maker Alken-Maes is to close one of its breweries, according to local reports....
SABMiller has said it expects premium-priced beers to account for 15% of sales volumes in its South American markets in five years' time....
The deputy chairman of UK brewer Young & Co's is to retire....
Scottish & Newcastle UK has sold off the production, marketing and sales rights to its Courage portfolio of ale brands....
SABMiller has unveiled a huge investment in its South American operations....
SABMiller has said this year's performance has been in line with expectations as the brewer heads into the last quarter....
SABMiller India has cooled on its plans to buy local brewer Mt Shivalik, just-drinks has learned. Sources close to the situation have told just-drinks today (16 January) that talks between SABMiller a...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly