INDIA: UBL, SABMiller claim strong beer crown
UBL, India's largest brewer, has claimed its Kingfisher Strong brand has now overtaken traditional category leader, the SABMiller-owned Haywards 5000.
However, sources at SABMiller told just-drinks today (19 April) that Haywards 5000 still leads the segment, although they acknowledged that the margin had narrowed.
The sources cited sales data compiled by India's excise authorities to support their claim. SABMiller said Haywards 5000 had sold 17.3m cases in the year to 31 March, compared to 16.37m cases of Kingfisher Strong sold by UBL. These figures give the Hayward 5000 brand around a 26.6% share of the strong beer category, compared to Kingfisher Strong's 25.4%.
Nevertheless, UBL claimed it had sold 18m cases of Kingfisher Strong over the 12-month period.
SABMiller has in the last year witnessed a slowdown in its strong beer sales with growth of only7% in the last 12 months. In contrast, sales of Kingfisher Strong leapt 41%. Strong beer is defined in India as beer sold with an abv of 5-8%.
Having recorded a third consecutive year of volume, margin and earnings growth, global brewing force, SAB Miller, was in a position to give shareholders a 27% dividend increase and eye the acquisition...
The consolidation of the global brewing industry is set to continue, according to SABMiller....
SABMiller is to begin buying into Slovakian brewery Topvar, according to local reports....
Rumours that SABMiller is poised to launch a bid for Empresarial Bavaria swept the trading floor yesterday (2 June)....
The Indian subsidiary of SABMiller, MBL Investments (Mysore), has acquired the Shaw Wallace Group's 50% interest in the brewing operations of SABMiller's Indian joint-venture....
The German-owned investment house, Deutsche Bank, has upgraded shares in the UK-based international brewing group, SABMiller, from "hold" to "buy", and raised its target for the shares from 830p to 95...
Bavaria has authorised a five-year syndicated loan of up to US$250m....
Kompania Piwowarska (KP) has posted its figures for the year to 31 March....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research