INDIA: UBL cools on Millennium merger
The merger between India's largest beer maker, United Breweries (UBL), and its part-owned local unit Millennium Alcobev looks likely to be postponed.
UBL already works together with Millennium Alcobev operationally but has said a formal merger may be some way off.
"While the operational merger is already there, a legal merger may not happen in the near future," a UBL spokesperson told just-drinks today (29 March). The spokesperson did not set a timeline for a possible merger.
UBL has reportedly cooled on the idea of a formal merger because of Millennium Alcobev's debt, which is understood to be around INR2bn (US$44.9m).
Millennium Alcobev, a 50:50 joint venture between UBL and Scottish & Newcastle, commands around 11% of India's beer market, taking UBL's share to almost 50%.
The second part of a report on the Indian soft drinks market from analysts Euromonitor examines the progress of non-carbonated sectors, looking at the growth of the bottled water category and the pote...
United Breweries, India's largest brewer, has distanced itself from the sale of Foster's brewing assets in Asia. United Breweries' part-owner, UK brewer Scottish & Newcastle, had been touted as a pote...
India's largest brewer, United Breweries, is to spend INR4bn (US$90.7m) on boosting its brewing capacity as it aims to keep pace with the country's booming beer market....
The United Breweries-Scottish & Newcastle combine may buy Australian beer maker Foster's franchise in India, according to market sources....
SABMiller has entered into an agreement with the UB Group to market the Indian company's whisky brand Royal Challenge....
UK-based brewing group Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has issued an upbeat trading statement for the first nine months of the year....
United Breweries Group (UB) is planning to launch three more wine brands in the Indian market....
InBev may be entering the Indian market soon through a joint-venture....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends