INDIA/UK: UB pursuit of Whyte & Mackay nears conclusion
UB, headed by Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya, has pursued Whyte & Mackay since starting takeover talks in October.
Reports in India claim that the acquisition of Whyte & Mackay will be sealed in anything ranging from a few days to a few weeks.
Just-drinks understands that UB has one or two regulatory hurdles to get over before finalising its due diligence on Whyte & Mackay and closing the deal. However, the obstacles are not believed to be insurmountable and the two sides look set to reach an agreement in the coming weeks.
Whyte & Mackay declined to comment, while UB officials failed to return a request for comment as just-drinks went to press.
However, UB CFO Ravi Nedungadi told the Bloomberg news agency that the group's United Spirits arm would buy 100% of the Whyte & Mackay business, which includes its namesake Scotch whisky, Vladivar vodka and stocks of blended whisky.
"We're acquiring the distilleries and the brands that are there," Nedungadi told Bloomberg yesterday (22 March). "It's an extensive business. Our intent is to get in as soon as we can."
Nedungadi added that Whyte & Mackay's stocks of whisky would help it strengthen its position in India, where it has dominated the country's spirits market.
However, UB is facing growing competition on its home turf. Diageo has formed a joint venture with Indian spirits group Radico Khaitan to produce Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) brands. Late last year, Beam Global Spirits & Wine also made its entry into the IMFL segment with the launch of a whisky brand called DYC.
The Scotch whisky category is booming globally thanks to demand in Asia and the BRIC countries, particularly for blends, but mature markets in Europe are proving more sluggish. In this month's Just th...
Beam's acquisition of Teacher's and Laphroaig may not have attracted as much attention as some other elements of the Allied Domecq sell-off but as Michael Cockram, Scotch brand director at Beam Global...
The Indian spirits sector has undoubted growth potential, on the back of a growing economy, an expanding middle class and rising disposable income but international companies face many obstacles as th...
A recent report in the Indian business press suggested that local spirits force United Spirits, part of the UB Group, had abandoned plans to develop RTDs for the Indian market. However, other companie...
Diageo has completed the first stage in its Scotch whisky investment programme....
The board of United Breweries is pondering a rights issue, according to reports....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has launched its Maker's Mark Bourbon brand in India....
United Spirits has acquired a controlling stake in US alcoholic drinks company Liquidity Inc....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India