INDIA: UB move in on Rajasthan Breweries
Unlisted Rajasthan Breweries, at one time a local brewing partner of the US beer brand, Stroh, already brews for UB under contract. UB did not comment officially but inside sources suggested that the deal would be completed within the next few weeks.
The news follows last week's announcement that UB is to buy a brewery from the GMR group in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh for Rup570 million. The further addition of Rajasthan Breweries will allow UB to extend its coverage in the Delhi and Rajasthan markets. The company already has around a 40% share of the 72-million case Indian beer market.
Although India is a huge market, per capita beer consumption is still only 0.5 litres in comparison with 18 in China. The growth potential has prompted a number of foreign beer groups to invest in the Indian market, such as South African Breweries, which has bought four breweries in India during the past two years, and most recently Scottish & Newcastle which last month acquired a 26% stake in UB's beer business.
The second part of a report on the Indian soft drinks market from analysts Euromonitor examines the progress of non-carbonated sectors, looking at the growth of the bottled water category and the pote...
India's largest brewer, United Breweries, is to spend INR4bn (US$90.7m) on boosting its brewing capacity as it aims to keep pace with the country's booming beer market....
SABMiller has entered into an agreement with the UB Group to market the Indian company's whisky brand Royal Challenge....
UK-based brewing group Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has issued an upbeat trading statement for the first nine months of the year....
United Breweries Group (UB) is planning to launch three more wine brands in the Indian market....
InBev may be entering the Indian market soon through a joint-venture....
Radico Khaitan is in talks to buy some brands from the United Breweries (UB) Group....
India's United Breweries Limited is looking to build three new green-field breweries and to expand some of its existing plants....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research