INDIA: UB Group travails to force United Spirits hand?
Could United Spirits come to the rescue of Vijay Mallya's UB Group?
The division, which has lost half of its stock value in the last six months, has seen its sales volumes rise by 12% in the same period and appears to be the white knight to UB Group's woes. The parent company's Kingfisher Airlines is close to bankruptcy and some local reports have suggested that the airline could have its licence revoked. UB Group is also dealing with US$1.5bn of accumulated debt.
Speaking to just-drinks earlier this week, a domestic drinks industry observer who preferred to remain anonymous, said: “There is a definite possibility at this stage that the company could accept an international partner (for United Spirits)." Diageo and Bacardi could both be potential suitors, the observer speculated.
Should United Spirits side with Diageo, the UK-based drinks giant would be in a strong position to secure beneficial terms: Back in 2009, the two companies concluded discussions over a possible stake purchase in United Spirits, with valuation proving the main sticking point. Outside investment has long been sought by United Spirits in an attempt to pay down debt.
Speaking to just-drinks in September last year, Mallya was his usual ebullient self, claiming that he would be “very interested” in partnering with another drinks firm to make a move for US spirits producer Beam Inc at some point in the future.
In the whisky category, it would appear that, while the big are getting bigger, the small are getting... more proliferative. This month, Ian Buxton considers the boom in craft distillers and flags up ...
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Key trends for beer in 2016 - Focus
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- Diageo nears wine exit with Acacia sale to Peju
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research