INDIA: UB Group embroiled in McDowell's cricket ad row
The UB Group has been hit with a legal notice over a television advert for its McDowell's No 1 Platinum whisky brand, parodying an ad for Pernod Ricard’s Royal Stag brand.
Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh sent The UB Group and its chairman, Vijaya Mallya, a legal notice yesterday (18 July), requesting the company withdraw the TV spot. The McDowell's No 1 Platinum ad, which features India's cricket captain and McDowell's brand ambassador, MS Dhoni, spoofs Pernod’s Royal Stag ad, featuring Harbhajan Singh.
Harbhajan's legal team claimed the ad mocks Harbhajan, his family and the Sikh community and creates "disunity and friction" in the Indian team. Subsequently, it has petitioned an absolute apology along with an immediate withdrawal of the ad.
Vijay Mallya has refused to pull the ad, however, with local reports citing him as saying: “It was not meant to attack Harbhajan Singh personally. It was just a spoof between two brands. We have received a long-winded legal notice and our lawyers are studying it.”
As advertising of alcoholic brands is not permitted in India, the commercials are for McDowell's No. 1 Platinum soda and Royal Stag cricket gear.
Both ads, starting with the spot for Royal Stag, can be viewed below.
Pernod Ricard will again sell its brands through French retailer E. Leclerc after the two groups settled a year-long dispute over prices....
Pernod Ricard's Blender's Pride Reserve Collection, Royal Stag Barrel Select...
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends