INDIA: UB Group chases Beam Global for Dalmore US rights - report
The Economic Times said today (14 December) that UB, which bought Scotch whisky company Whyte & Mackay in May, will spend between US$60m and $80m on buying the distribution rights. Dalmore is part of Whyte & Mackay's portfolio of whiskies, although Beam Global handles the US distribution of the Scotch.
The newspaper cited a top UB Group official as confirming the move.
When contacted by just-drinks today, however, a spokesperson for Beam Global declined to comment on the report. "As a matter of company policy, we don't comment on rumours or speculation," the spokesperson told just-drinks.
The report also cited sources close to UB Group as saying that company chairman Vijay Mallya is keen to buy distribution back from Beam due to the US company being "unable to tap the full potential of the brand owing to conflict of interest". Beam, who would not be drawn further on the comment, owns the single malt brand Laphroaig.
The paper said that talks between the two companies have begun, with a deal expected to be secured next month.
A net loss in the last fiscal year and the global credit crunch may have led some to believe that Constellation Brands' rampaging acquisitive growth strategy may have to be put on hold. In the second ...
Fortune Brands' Beam Global Spirits & Wine appeared to be perfectly placed to swoop for Vin & Sprit, but yesterday's announcement that Pernod Ricard had won the Swedish company's hand surprised most o...
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has appointed Julian Cohen to the position of vice president of marketplace insights....
Beam Global UK is introducing a range of 100% agave Tequilas under the Hornitos banner, as part of the group's GBP650,000 (US$1.3m) investment in the UK Tequila category this year....
United Spirits is looking to launch a locally-produced version of Whyte & Mackay whisky in India later this year....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine will be hosting a global online tasting of its Islay malt whisky, Laphroaig this month....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine will be promoting its Sauza Tequila brand at The Big Chill festival this August as part of its UK arm's GBP650, 000 (US$1.28m) investment in the Tequila category....
Global Alcohol Producers Group (GAP Group), which represents 16 leading global drinks firms in dialogue with the World Health Organization (WHO), has backed a resolution entitled "strategies to reduce...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report