INDIA: UB Group chases Beam Global for Dalmore US rights - report
The Economic Times said today (14 December) that UB, which bought Scotch whisky company Whyte & Mackay in May, will spend between US$60m and $80m on buying the distribution rights. Dalmore is part of Whyte & Mackay's portfolio of whiskies, although Beam Global handles the US distribution of the Scotch.
The newspaper cited a top UB Group official as confirming the move.
When contacted by just-drinks today, however, a spokesperson for Beam Global declined to comment on the report. "As a matter of company policy, we don't comment on rumours or speculation," the spokesperson told just-drinks.
The report also cited sources close to UB Group as saying that company chairman Vijay Mallya is keen to buy distribution back from Beam due to the US company being "unable to tap the full potential of the brand owing to conflict of interest". Beam, who would not be drawn further on the comment, owns the single malt brand Laphroaig.
The paper said that talks between the two companies have begun, with a deal expected to be secured next month.
A net loss in the last fiscal year and the global credit crunch may have led some to believe that Constellation Brands' rampaging acquisitive growth strategy may have to be put on hold. In the second ...
Fortune Brands' Beam Global Spirits & Wine appeared to be perfectly placed to swoop for Vin & Sprit, but yesterday's announcement that Pernod Ricard had won the Swedish company's hand surprised most o...
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has appointed Julian Cohen to the position of vice president of marketplace insights....
Beam Global UK is introducing a range of 100% agave Tequilas under the Hornitos banner, as part of the group's GBP650,000 (US$1.3m) investment in the UK Tequila category this year....
United Spirits is looking to launch a locally-produced version of Whyte & Mackay whisky in India later this year....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine will be hosting a global online tasting of its Islay malt whisky, Laphroaig this month....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine will be promoting its Sauza Tequila brand at The Big Chill festival this August as part of its UK arm's GBP650, 000 (US$1.28m) investment in the Tequila category....
Global Alcohol Producers Group (GAP Group), which represents 16 leading global drinks firms in dialogue with the World Health Organization (WHO), has backed a resolution entitled "strategies to reduce...
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits