UK: UB boss visits Whyte & Mackay
A source close to the situation has told just-drinks today (13 October) that Vijay Mallya arrived in the country earlier this week, and is currently in negotiations with company. "It's unclear at the moment what the negotiations are covering," the source said. "Whyte & Mackay will take any bids that are made seriously, but it's not clear what is on the table at this time."
The visit is Mallya's first ever visit to Scotland, the source added.
Earlier this week, UB Group confirmed that it is hoping to secure at least a distribution and licencing deal with Whyte & Mackay, which has been the subject of rivals' interests following rising sales thanks to a brand revamp.
Whyte & Mackay issued a statement late last week saying that it had not been sold at that time. Recent speculation has suggested, however, that UB is set to offer GBP400m (US$747m) for the business.
The source also said that the results of the negotiations, "whatever they may be", will be made public within the next week.
Economic growth and rising personal incomes in the Asia Pacific region may make it an exciting growth area for international brands but the potential for international spirits varies considerably from...
India's UB Group is close to finally sealing the takeover of UK distiller Whyte & Mackay, just-drinks understands. UB, headed by Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya, has pursued Whyte & Mackay since start...
A top Whyte & Mackay executive has insisted it is "business as usual" at the UB Group takeover target after the UK distiller announced a distribution deal for the US....
India's UB Group has embarked on the due diligence of long-time quarry Whyte & Mackay, just-drinks understands....
US importer Gemini Spirits & Wine has announced a distribution deal for the whisky portfolio of UK distiller Whyte & Mackay....
Italy-based wine group Bosca has parted company with India's UB Group, its distributor in the Indian market....
Vivian Imerman, chairman and chief executive at UK distiller Whyte & Mackay, has quashed reports that he has agreed a deal to sell the company to India's UB Group. Imerman issued a robust statement af...
Scotch whisky group Ian Macleod Distillers has rubbished reports that it is in talks to sell the company to India's UB Group....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends