INDIA: UB acquisition creates spirits superpower
McDowell & Co. is to acquire up to 54.54% of its fellow Indian drinks group Shaw Wallace & Co Ltd from Jumbo World Holdings Ltd for INR8.5bn (US$194m).
A joint statement from the companies said that McDowell - owned by the UB Group - and its associates would acquire a controlling stake in Shaw Wallace by paying INR325 (US$7.4) a share.
Following the deal, UB Group will become the world's second largest spirits producer, with annual sales of 60m cases.
The UB group also announced yesterday (21 March) that it would raise the price of its open offer for another 25% of Shaw Wallace. Last month the company had said it would offer INR250 per share, through McDowell and two other group companies. It is now offering INR260 per share.
The UB Group will also purchase some liquor distribution companies owned by the Chhabria family, which controls Jumbo World Holdings.
The recent acquisition of Shaw Wallace by the Indian UB Group, owned by Vijay Mallya, created the world's second largest spirits producer by volume and significantly enhances UB's already powerful pos...
India's UB Group has reported strong third-quarter results for its brewing and distilling operations....
UB Group plans to sell off its stake in South Africa-based United National Breweries (UNB) to a management led buyout headed by UNB CEO, Rajan Ranganathan....
UB Group, the Indian drinks giant owned by Vijay Mallya, is planning to develop a significant presence in the wine market....
The UB Group has reported a 30.38% growth in sales for the first half of the financial year 2006 to INR3.77bn (US$466m)....
Indian winemakers are attracting the attention of international private equity players....
InBev may be entering the Indian market soon through a joint-venture....
Radico Khaitan is in talks to buy some brands from the United Breweries (UB) Group....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends