AUSTRALIA: Two Dogs bitten by tax hike but in LN beer negotiations
Two Dogs, one of the founding brands of the alcopop category, is to be withdrawn from the Australian market, having been crippled by price increases from the new tax system.The brand's owners are planning to replace the alcopop with a Two Dogs beer. The beer would be a more competitive option because beer is subject to a cheaper excise levy.According to Australian papers, the decision follows unsuccessful attempts by Two Dogs chairman Duncan MacGillivray, to reverse the decision by the federal government to place alcopops in the same tax category as mixed spirits.Two Dogs already has a lemon-based beer for the European export market, which is brewed by Lion Nathan. Sources believe that Two Dogs is negotiating with Lion Nathan to brew the beer for the domestic market as well.Under the new tax regime the price of a bottle of Two Dogs has risen from A$4 to A$5 and domestic sales have fallen from 300,000 cases to 150,000 since 1996.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review