AUSTRALIA: Two Dogs bitten by tax hike but in LN beer negotiations
The brand's owners are planning to replace the alcopop with a Two Dogs beer. The beer would be a more competitive option because beer is subject to a cheaper excise levy.
According to Australian papers, the decision follows unsuccessful attempts by Two Dogs chairman Duncan MacGillivray, to reverse the decision by the federal government to place alcopops in the same tax category as mixed spirits.
Two Dogs already has a lemon-based beer for the European export market, which is brewed by Lion Nathan. Sources believe that Two Dogs is negotiating with Lion Nathan to brew the beer for the domestic market as well.
Under the new tax regime the price of a bottle of Two Dogs has risen from A$4 to A$5 and domestic sales have fallen from 300,000 cases to 150,000 since 1996.
Companies: Lion Nathan
After some less than successful diversification in recent years, Lion Nathan is focusing its attentions back on beer and winning the approval of analysts in the process. The company looks set to gain ...
Integrating spirits, wine and beer has proved problematic for major drinks groups over the years but expansionary moves by the two major Australian brewers, Foster's Group and Lion Nathan, suggest tha...
Lion Nathan has appointed a new non-executive director....
Coopers Brewery is fighting the takeover attempt from fellow Australian brewer Lion Nathan....
Lion Nathan today announced that it intends to make an off-market offer for Coopers Brewery Ltd (Coopers). The offer of A$260 per share in cash values Coopers at A$352m....
Lion Nathan has received further assurances that it is not about to be taken over....
Lion Nathan has played down speculation that it may be the subject of a takeover....
Lion Nathan has said it is on target to reach its full-year net profit after tax forecast for 2005 of between A$230m and A$235m before one-off charges....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future