AUSTRALIA: Two Dogs bitten by tax hike but in LN beer negotiations
Two Dogs, one of the founding brands of the alcopop category, is to be withdrawn from the Australian market, having been crippled by price increases from the new tax system.The brand's owners are planning to replace the alcopop with a Two Dogs beer. The beer would be a more competitive option because beer is subject to a cheaper excise levy.According to Australian papers, the decision follows unsuccessful attempts by Two Dogs chairman Duncan MacGillivray, to reverse the decision by the federal government to place alcopops in the same tax category as mixed spirits.Two Dogs already has a lemon-based beer for the European export market, which is brewed by Lion Nathan. Sources believe that Two Dogs is negotiating with Lion Nathan to brew the beer for the domestic market as well.Under the new tax regime the price of a bottle of Two Dogs has risen from A$4 to A$5 and domestic sales have fallen from 300,000 cases to 150,000 since 1996.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends