IRELAND: Tullamore D.E.W. distillery gets Government nod
The new Tullamore D.E.W. distillery should begin operations next year
Construction of the Tullamore D.E.W. distillery in its namesake town in Ireland continues apace, with the William Grant & Sons-owned brand getting official recognition for the building work this week.
While the building of the new distillery, originally announced in March last year, began in late-2012, the Irish Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Simon Coveney T.D. officially “turned the sod” on the facility yesterday (12 September), said William Grant. Construction should be completed next year, with operations expected to start in September 2014, a spokesperson for the company told just-drinks today.
William Grant said it has initially invested EUR35m (US$46.6m) to “meet the long-term production demands for Tullamore D.E.W”. The company bought the Irish whiskey brand from C&C Group in 2010.
“As the second-largest selling Irish whiskey worldwide, Tullamore D.E.W. plays a significant role in the success of our overall business,” said William Grant CEO Stella David. “When we acquired the brand in 2010 we felt it was important to strengthen the link with Tullamore, which we have done through the distillery and the new Tullamore D.E.W. Visitor Centre which reopened last year. We are proud to be bringing whiskey distilling back to Tullamore for the first time in 60 years.”
The original Tullamore distillery in the town closed in 1954.
The latest joint-report from just-drinks and The IWSR, published this week, looks at the non-scotch whisk(e)y category. Ben Cooper considers what the findings of this research mean for the smaller whi...
Private equity group Exponent has lined up the acquisition of The Loch Lomond Distillery Co....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research