THAILAND: Tsingtao to build first brewery outside China - report
Tsingtao is to build its first brewery outside of China, after agreeing with partners to set up a US$56m plant in Thailand, according to local reports.
The Chinese brewer has entered a venture with local partners, including Cosnam Shipping, to build the THB2bn (US$56.4m) brewery in Thailand, according to a report this week in the Bangkok Post, citing Cosnam MD Theparak Luengsuwan.
Tsingtao will own 40% of the brewery, it said, adding that the move is part of Tsingtao's strategy to expand across the region.
A spokesperson for Tsingtao could not be reached for comment today (31 March). A spokesperson for Anheuser-Busch InBev, a Tsingtao shareholder, declined to comment on the matter. A-B InBev retains a 7% stake in Tsingtao, after agreeing in January to sell a 20% stake in the Chinese brewer to Asahi for US$667m.
Tsingtao reported late last year that net profit for the three quarters to the end of September rose by 24% to RMB699.8m (US$102m). Beer volumes rose by 7% to 44.81m hectolitres.
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Lion Nathan is to distribute the Budweiser portfolio of brands in Australia from December, the company announced this week....
Blackstone Group is looking at a possible deal to buy Anheuser-Busch InBev's theme parks, according to reports....
The Irish Competition Authority has given Clonmel-based drinks group C&C the go-ahead for its EUR205.2m (US$300.8m) purchase of the Tennant's lager brand and assets in Scotland and Northern Ireland....
See the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Private equity group CVC Capital Partners still intends to acquire Anheuser-Busch InBev brewing assets in Eastern Europe, just-drinks understands....
InBev UK, the divsion of Anheuser-Busch InBev, is to launch an advertising campaign for its alcohol-free Beck's Blue brand....
The CEO of Canada's Brick Brewing Company has told just-drinks his business will "aggressively defend" an intellectual property lawsuit brought by Anheuser-Busch InBev....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research