CHINA: Tsingtao stays at “sell” - report
Investment bank Merrill Lynch has continued to rate China's Tsingtao Brewery with a "sell" call due to fierce domestic competition, according to reports.
The investor reiterated its 'sell' and cautious stance on the Chinese beer sector and Tsingtao Brewery, and also forecasted that the brewer could lose its position as market leader.
"While beer market growth of around 6% is undoubtedly highly attractive by international standards, it pales by comparison with other fast-moving consumer goods industries in China such as wine, dairy, packaged tea and bottled water, to name but a few," Merrill Lynch said yesterday (19 April).
The bank also said it did not consider Tsingtao's 55% valuation premium to the China beverage sector adequately justified by industry leadership, growth, returns or M&A.
"With sales growth decelerating, we believe that Tsingtao is set to lose its number one position in China's beer market by volume. Margins are under pressure and we expect large write-downs to continue to depress earnings as it attempts to dispose of loss-making breweries," the broker added.
Tsingtao had not responded to requests for comment as just-drinks went to press.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends