CHINA: Tsingtao Brewery agrees joint ventures with Suntory Holdings
Tsingtao says the joint venture will improve its "competitiveness" in the regions
In a filing to the Hong Kong bourse yesterday (5 June), Tsingtao said it has entered into two joint venture agreements with Osaka-based Suntory, one involving production and the other sales. Tsingtao, which is 20%-owned by Japan's Asahi Breweries, said both companies had agreed to invest RMB10m (US$1.6m) each to establish the sales venture.
This separate company will be responsible for sales planning, logistics, promotion and advertising of the beer business of both firms in Shanghai and Jiangsu province.
The reason for the transaction, the filing said, was to “allow both parties to complement each other in their respective resource advantages in Shanghai and Jiangsu province” and “create a synergic effect so as to improve the company's competitiveness in such areas”.
In January, it was reported that Tsingtao was considering opening more breweries in South East Asia, to supplement growth in its native China, the world's largest beer market.
Last year, Suntory Holdings formed a joint-venture with Garudafood Group for the development of a soft drinks business in Indonesia.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015