CHINA: Tsingtao backs AB, Harbin rejects SABMiller
China's largest beermaker Tsingtao Brewery, has backed Anheuser-Busch's move to acquire a 29% stake in Harbin Brewery, even though Anheuser already has a partnership with Tsingtao.
Tsingtao, in which Anheuser owns a 9% stake, said it believed the Harbin acquisition was of benefit to all parties concerned. Tsingtao's management had been notified of the move before the purchase, it said.
"Tsingtao supports Anheuser-Busch's action and believes that this transaction is beneficial to all parties," the company said in a statement.
The move by Anheuser prompted international rival SABMiller to launch a full takeover bid for Harbin. SABMiller already holds a 29% stake in the Hong Kong-based business.
However, it became apparent yesterday that SABMiller's bid would be a hostile one, with Harbin's CEO Peter Lo saying: "Since we signed the strategic investor agreement with SABMiller last June, SABMiller has done nothing good for us."
SABMiller and Harbin signed an accord when SABMiller bought a 29.41% share in the Chinese brewer. But Harbin terminated the partnership on Saturday.
Harbin's board said they considered SABMiller's bid, which was made yesterday, to be hostile. It has prompted speculation that Anheuser may launch a bid of its own.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch said today that it had seen its earnings per share fall 3% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same period last year as it was hit by difficult trading condi...
Patrick Stokes, president and chief executive officer of Anheuser-Busch Companies, has said that the company's board of directors has declared a regular quarterly dividend....
Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the holding company of billionaire Warren Buffett, has acquired a significant stake in Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
China Resources Snow Breweries Limited (CR Snow) has entered into an agreement with the Fuyang City government to acquire the assets of the Fuyang City Snowland Brewery Company in Anhui province for U...
Anheuser-Busch has increased its economic interest in China's Tsingtao to 27% upon its conversion of all the remaining convertible bonds in Tsingtao....
Anheuser-Busch has revealed plans to launch a new variant in its Bacardi Silver range....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends