AUS/US: Treasury Wine Estates to fight US shareholder lawsuit
TWE is gearing up to fight the class action
Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) has said it will “vigorously defend” itself after being hit with a shareholder lawsuit over allegations of “deceptive conduct” in the US.
Litigation firm IMF confirmed today (2 July) an action has been filed at Australia's Federal Court. The claims relate to allegations of “misleading and deceptive conduct and breaches of continuous disclosure obligations between 17 August 2012 and 14 July 2013 in connection with the performance of its (TWE's) United States operations,” a filing to the Australian Stock Exchange said.
A single applicant, Brian Jones, is named in the proceedings, who acquired 1,000 TWE shares in September 2012 at an average price of AUD4.76 per share, according to TWE. Jones is also bringing the claim on behalf of other "group members".
IMF flagged last October it was planning to fund legal action from current and former TWE shareholders.
However, in a separate statement to the Australian Stock Exchange today, TWE said it “strongly denies any and all allegations” against it and will “vigorously defend the legal proceeding”.
Last week, the firm's new CEO, Michael Clarke, flagged a further AUD260m (US$243.6m) writedown in fiscal 2014 as it looks to “reset” with a raft of structural changes.
There was a surprise twist to talk this weekend that Diageo was looking to divest one of its alcohol categories. For once, the rumours concerned its wine portfolio and not its beer brands....
Pernod Ricard and Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) have urged Australia's federal government to "significantly reform" the wine tax system - a move that has reportedly been opposed by Accolade....
Hess Family Wine Estates has continued its recruitment of Treasury Wine Estates executives, this time for the role of chief marketing officer at its Hess Collection Winery unit....
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends