AUS: Treasury Wine Estates to "engage further" after US$3.2bn takeover proposal
Treasury Wine Estates revealed in May that KKR had made an initial proposal
Treasury Wines Estates (TWE) is to open up its books after receiving an increased AUD3.4bn (US$3.2bn) takeover proposal from two private-equity suitors.
The Australia-based wine maker said today Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co (KKR) and Rhone Capital are willing to buy all of its stock for AUD5.20 per share, on condition of "non-exclusive" due diligence. The proposal is AUD0.50 more than an initial KKR proposal revealed earlier this year, and an AUD0.23 improvement on TWE's share price as of Friday's close.
In a statement, TWE said there is “no certainty” that the proposal will result in an offer for the company, however “it is in the interests of its shareholders to engage further with KKR and Rhône”.
The proposal remains subject to several conditions, including:
- Completion of due diligence to KKR’s and Rhone’s satisfaction
- Final approval of KKR’s and Rhone’s investment committees
- Availability of financing
- Unanimous recommendation by the board of TWE
In May, TWE said it had rejected a takeover offer from KKR, saying the “proposal does not reflect the fundamental value of the company”. It was TWE's third M&A-related statement to the Australian Stock Exchange that month following reports linking Pernod Ricard to its US wine assets and also speculation of a similar move by Constellation Brands.
TWE is currently being restructured by its CEO Michael Clarke after enduring a troubled time of late, including a US$145m write-down in the US last year.
At close of trading today, TWE's share price had climbed by 4% to AUD5.15.
To read TWE's official statement, click here.
Global Wine Market: Merger & Acquisitions December 2013
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global wine market during December 2013....read more
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Canadean's "Treasury Wine Estates Limited - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major prod...
As one of the most well-known and leading manufacturers of spirits globally, Pernod Ricard will continue to support its strong brand portfolio of premium and super premium spirits through large-scale ...
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- Diageo nears wine exit with Acacia sale to Peju
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research