AUS: Treasury Wine Estates to "engage further" after US$3.2bn takeover proposal
Treasury Wine Estates revealed in May that KKR had made an initial proposal
Treasury Wines Estates (TWE) is to open up its books after receiving an increased AUD3.4bn (US$3.2bn) takeover proposal from two private-equity suitors.
The Australia-based wine maker said today Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co (KKR) and Rhone Capital are willing to buy all of its stock for AUD5.20 per share, on condition of "non-exclusive" due diligence. The proposal is AUD0.50 more than an initial KKR proposal revealed earlier this year, and an AUD0.23 improvement on TWE's share price as of Friday's close.
In a statement, TWE said there is “no certainty” that the proposal will result in an offer for the company, however “it is in the interests of its shareholders to engage further with KKR and Rhône”.
The proposal remains subject to several conditions, including:
- Completion of due diligence to KKR’s and Rhone’s satisfaction
- Final approval of KKR’s and Rhone’s investment committees
- Availability of financing
- Unanimous recommendation by the board of TWE
In May, TWE said it had rejected a takeover offer from KKR, saying the “proposal does not reflect the fundamental value of the company”. It was TWE's third M&A-related statement to the Australian Stock Exchange that month following reports linking Pernod Ricard to its US wine assets and also speculation of a similar move by Constellation Brands.
TWE is currently being restructured by its CEO Michael Clarke after enduring a troubled time of late, including a US$145m write-down in the US last year.
At close of trading today, TWE's share price had climbed by 4% to AUD5.15.
To read TWE's official statement, click here.
Global Wine Market: Merger & Acquisitions December 2013
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global wine market during December 2013....read more
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Canadean's "Treasury Wine Estates Limited - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major prod...
As one of the most well-known and leading manufacturers of spirits globally, Pernod Ricard will continue to support its strong brand portfolio of premium and super premium spirits through large-scale ...
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Carlsberg "most likely" to buy Grolsch, Peroni
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts