AUS: Treasury Wine Estates eyes climate change with vineyard buy
TWE is seeking vineyards in cooler regions
Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) is to buy a Tasmanian vineyard as it follows through on a pledge to purchase sites in cooler areas because of climate change.
The wine company said today (2 July) that it has signed an agreement to take over the White Hills vineyard from Brown Brothers for an undisclosed fee. The 83-planted-hectare site in the Tamar Valley grows Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Pinot Gris and Gewurztraminer grapes, TWE said.
“The acquisition of White Hills supports TWE’s long term strategy of owning or controlling vineyards that supply grapes for our luxury wine portfolio,” said chief executive David Dearie. “Over the last 18 months we have invested heavily in premium grape and wine production capacity globally, and this is a logical next step.”
The deal is expected to complete at the end of this month.
In April, Dearie said in an interview that his group's acquisition teams were looking at sites in Tasmania. “As the world heats, Tasmania’s very well positioned because of the cooler climate,” Dearie said.
In today's announcement, TWE said cooler climate regions “lend themselves to premium quality fruit and also hold appeal from a longer term sourcing and climate change perspective”.
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
Treasury Wine Estates has faced serious challenges since its spin-off from Foster’s Group in 2011. The US, which was a key component of its turnaround plan, has thus far failed to pay dividends. In 20...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
Global Wine industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2013....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly