GLOBAL: Travel retail spirits, wine sales shrink in '09
Pernod Ricard's Absolut struggled in travel retail
Global travel retail wine and spirits sales were hit hard by the economic downturn in 2009, dropping 9.3% to reach 22.7m nine-litre cases, according to figures released by International Wine & Spirit Research (IWSR).
Spirits volumes fell 10.6% in 2009 with rum proving the only major sub-category to show growth (+1.3%), overtaking Cognac to stand at 1.25m cases, IWSR said.
The wine category saw duty-free and travel retail sales decline by 6.3%.
Johnnie Walker remains the best-selling travel retail spirits brand, but volume sales dropped 7.7% last year.
Diageo’s overall share of the global duty-free and travel retail market remained stable at 18.1%, but second-placed Pernod Ricard saw its share fall from 17.6% in 2008 to 15.6% after a poor performance from Absolut vodka.
The Americas were the most severely affected travel retail spirits market in 2009 with sales slumping by 19%. In contrast, sales in Asia/Pacific fell by only 5.3%.
The full IWSR travel retail report will be published later this month.
The first management briefing of 2011, brought to you by Euromonitor, looks at what this year will bring for the global drinks industry. Ahead of this, just-drinks looks back to look forward: Our brie...
One of the first signs of madness, I was always told, is talking to yourself. If that's the case, then Larry Nelson may have finally lost it. Before we cart him off, though, let's listen in on his and...
The organisers of the world's largest wine exhibition, Vinexpo, have refuted suggestions that the global wine sector is facing a crisis of confidence as big companies look to dispose of assets....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets