GLOBAL: Travel retail spirits, wine sales shrink in '09
Pernod Ricard's Absolut struggled in travel retail
Global travel retail wine and spirits sales were hit hard by the economic downturn in 2009, dropping 9.3% to reach 22.7m nine-litre cases, according to figures released by International Wine & Spirit Research (IWSR).
Spirits volumes fell 10.6% in 2009 with rum proving the only major sub-category to show growth (+1.3%), overtaking Cognac to stand at 1.25m cases, IWSR said.
The wine category saw duty-free and travel retail sales decline by 6.3%.
Johnnie Walker remains the best-selling travel retail spirits brand, but volume sales dropped 7.7% last year.
Diageo’s overall share of the global duty-free and travel retail market remained stable at 18.1%, but second-placed Pernod Ricard saw its share fall from 17.6% in 2008 to 15.6% after a poor performance from Absolut vodka.
The Americas were the most severely affected travel retail spirits market in 2009 with sales slumping by 19%. In contrast, sales in Asia/Pacific fell by only 5.3%.
The full IWSR travel retail report will be published later this month.
The first management briefing of 2011, brought to you by Euromonitor, looks at what this year will bring for the global drinks industry. Ahead of this, just-drinks looks back to look forward: Our brie...
One of the first signs of madness, I was always told, is talking to yourself. If that's the case, then Larry Nelson may have finally lost it. Before we cart him off, though, let's listen in on his and...
The organisers of the world's largest wine exhibition, Vinexpo, have refuted suggestions that the global wine sector is facing a crisis of confidence as big companies look to dispose of assets....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits