GLOBAL: Travel retail spirits, wine sales shrink in '09
Pernod Ricard's Absolut struggled in travel retail
Global travel retail wine and spirits sales were hit hard by the economic downturn in 2009, dropping 9.3% to reach 22.7m nine-litre cases, according to figures released by International Wine & Spirit Research (IWSR).
Spirits volumes fell 10.6% in 2009 with rum proving the only major sub-category to show growth (+1.3%), overtaking Cognac to stand at 1.25m cases, IWSR said.
The wine category saw duty-free and travel retail sales decline by 6.3%.
Johnnie Walker remains the best-selling travel retail spirits brand, but volume sales dropped 7.7% last year.
Diageo’s overall share of the global duty-free and travel retail market remained stable at 18.1%, but second-placed Pernod Ricard saw its share fall from 17.6% in 2008 to 15.6% after a poor performance from Absolut vodka.
The Americas were the most severely affected travel retail spirits market in 2009 with sales slumping by 19%. In contrast, sales in Asia/Pacific fell by only 5.3%.
The full IWSR travel retail report will be published later this month.
The first management briefing of 2011, brought to you by Euromonitor, looks at what this year will bring for the global drinks industry. Ahead of this, just-drinks looks back to look forward: Our brie...
One of the first signs of madness, I was always told, is talking to yourself. If that's the case, then Larry Nelson may have finally lost it. Before we cart him off, though, let's listen in on his and...
The organisers of the world's largest wine exhibition, Vinexpo, have refuted suggestions that the global wine sector is facing a crisis of confidence as big companies look to dispose of assets....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research