CANADA: Travel retail and web will heat up ice wine market
One thing the recent TFWE in Cannes showed was that international travellers' tastes are changing. Spirits have always dominated the duty-free/travel retail market because the returns are greater but premium wine is beginning to capture the consumer's fascination."Scotch whisky was always the king of duty-free because it delivers high margin. But now premium wine companies such as Boisset and Jaboulet are pushing into the market and seeing good growth," said Donald Ziraldo, president and founder of Canadian-based Inniskillin Wines.His presence in Cannes was for the same reason. Inniskillin VQA Icewine is being launched into the travel retail sector, priced as a luxury item to attract the lucrative Asia-Pacific market. "Through our successful partnership with DFS two years ago, we have penetrated the Japanese market. Icewine has become the number one winter gift for the Japanese business traveller," he said.There is now a recognition among wine producers that sales in the "high end" of the market are increasing. Targetting the hotels and venues where potential consumers frequent (a ploy used by the spirits industry for years) is now the issue. Inniskillin has secured deals with the Four Seasons chain and Ziraldo intimated he is in discussion with some hoteliers in Dubai. Delta Airlines has also signed an exclusive deal to supply its business passengers with Inniskillin's Icewine
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review