CANADA: Travel retail and web will heat up ice wine market
One thing the recent TFWE in Cannes showed was that international travellers' tastes are changing. Spirits have always dominated the duty-free/travel retail market because the returns are greater but premium wine is beginning to capture the consumer's fascination."Scotch whisky was always the king of duty-free because it delivers high margin. But now premium wine companies such as Boisset and Jaboulet are pushing into the market and seeing good growth," said Donald Ziraldo, president and founder of Canadian-based Inniskillin Wines.His presence in Cannes was for the same reason. Inniskillin VQA Icewine is being launched into the travel retail sector, priced as a luxury item to attract the lucrative Asia-Pacific market. "Through our successful partnership with DFS two years ago, we have penetrated the Japanese market. Icewine has become the number one winter gift for the Japanese business traveller," he said.There is now a recognition among wine producers that sales in the "high end" of the market are increasing. Targetting the hotels and venues where potential consumers frequent (a ploy used by the spirits industry for years) is now the issue. Inniskillin has secured deals with the Four Seasons chain and Ziraldo intimated he is in discussion with some hoteliers in Dubai. Delta Airlines has also signed an exclusive deal to supply its business passengers with Inniskillin's Icewine
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- NPD: Brewdog's Born to Die
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review