CANADA: Travel retail and web will heat up ice wine market
One thing the recent TFWE in Cannes showed was that international travellers' tastes are changing. Spirits have always dominated the duty-free/travel retail market because the returns are greater but premium wine is beginning to capture the consumer's fascination."Scotch whisky was always the king of duty-free because it delivers high margin. But now premium wine companies such as Boisset and Jaboulet are pushing into the market and seeing good growth," said Donald Ziraldo, president and founder of Canadian-based Inniskillin Wines.His presence in Cannes was for the same reason. Inniskillin VQA Icewine is being launched into the travel retail sector, priced as a luxury item to attract the lucrative Asia-Pacific market. "Through our successful partnership with DFS two years ago, we have penetrated the Japanese market. Icewine has become the number one winter gift for the Japanese business traveller," he said.There is now a recognition among wine producers that sales in the "high end" of the market are increasing. Targetting the hotels and venues where potential consumers frequent (a ploy used by the spirits industry for years) is now the issue. Inniskillin has secured deals with the Four Seasons chain and Ziraldo intimated he is in discussion with some hoteliers in Dubai. Delta Airlines has also signed an exclusive deal to supply its business passengers with Inniskillin's Icewine
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Coca-Cola Co apologises over Fanta ad
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future