UK: Tradition & Innovation Sit Side by Side in the Spirits Market
Spirits manufacturers are today faced with the challenge of responding to the demands of purists on the one hand and younger, more adventurous consumers on the other. Analysis of Datamonitor's Worldwide Innovations Network database shows that tradition and innovation are both alive and well in the spirits market.Fighting the traditional corner, albeit with a modern twist, is France's Liquoristerie de Provence with Lamesinthe liqueur. The spirit recalls the absinthe era with its art deco design, although under French law it cannot contain any absinthe. Another company to give a modern spin to a traditional concept is Eckes of Germany, whose Chantré Cuvée Rouge brandy is described as the only one on the market distilled from red wine. UK retailer Tesco has chosen to capitalize on rising demand for organic produce with its Organic Dry London Gin and Imperial Vodka. These products are both presented in simple-looking bottles and mark a brave attempt to establish an organic alternative in a market already replete with claims of purity and nature. Bacardi-Martini's new Metz 40 schnapps, meanwhile, shares the name of the premium packaged spirit range but contains 40% alcohol. Its launch represents a reversal of the recent trend for moving established spirit brands like Smirnoff and Bacardi into the pre-mix market.Also striking out for innovation is H P Bulmer with the Sidekick range of flavored schnapps for young adults in the UK. The drinks contain 20% alcohol and are presented in single-shot 30ml glasses which can fit over the edge of a conventional glass for easy carrying in a bar.New from Halewood International is Reloaded Red Square Irn-Bru, which combines vodka, taurine, caffeine and ginseng with AG Barr's popular carbonate brand. And for fruit lovers, the company now offers Shakers Smoovie, a range of fruit smoothies blended with vodka or white rum.For these and other traditional and innovative spirits, visit the Worldwide Innovations Network at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research