UK: Trade union denies taking Carlsberg stance on S&N
Danish reports yesterday (6 December) have suggested that the head of the UK's largest trade union for brewery workers has sided with Carlsberg and Heineken in their attempts to acquire Scottish & Newcastle, a claim just-drinks understands the union has strenuously denied.
Danish business daily Borsen yesterday (6 December) cited the leader of Unite, Brian Revell, as saying he backed the European brewers in their attempts to take over S&N.
Revell reportedly voiced his concerns over potential job losses which may come about as a result of S&N's outsourcing plans. Last month, the brewer announced plans to make cost savings in the UK of around GBP20m (US$41.3m). One of the initiatives includes a production and packaging agreement with Coors UK. Up to 3m hectolitres of on-trade volume will subsequently be produced under contract by Coors.
Revell also told the paper that the union had not ruled out using strike action against S&N due to the company's streamlining plans.
Although no-one at Unite was available for comment when contacted today, just-drinks understands that Revell has contacted the paper, demanding clarification of comments he made that were "taken out of context". A source close to the situation told just-drinks: "Unite has a good relationship with both Carlsberg and S&N. Revell has been misquoted, and has sought a correction from the Danish newspaper."
A difference of opinion between Heineken-APB (China) and Nantong Fuhao Alcohol Industry (NAC) has resulted in the company selling its stake in Jiangsu DaFuHao Breweries to Nantong....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has appointed Julian Cohen to the position of vice president of marketplace insights....
Brown-Forman has posted record sales for its fiscal year, driven by a strong performance in its international markets....
Dr Pepper Snapple Group has posted a lift in sales and profits for its first quarter since separating from Cadbury Schweppes....
Beam Global UK is introducing a range of 100% agave Tequilas under the Hornitos banner, as part of the group's GBP650,000 (US$1.3m) investment in the UK Tequila category this year....
Britvic has introduced Pepsi Xtra Cold to the UK on-trade as a way of enabling draught cola to be served "extra cold"....
United Spirits is looking to launch a locally-produced version of Whyte & Mackay whisky in India later this year....
This year's London International Wine Fair & Distil received a record number of visitors, according to figures released this week....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report