CAYMAN ISLANDS: Tingyi Q1 profits fall as beverage unit absorbs PepsiCo deal
- Beverage unit's Q1 net profits drop to US$21.5m from $208m
- Net sales sales jump by 79% to $817.5m
- Total group profits fall by 47%
Tingyi confirmed the PepsiCo deal last March
Tingyi Holding Corp's beverage division has posted a sharp fall in first quarter profits and sales due to costs from its link-up with PepsiCo.
Net profits fell to US$21.5m from $208m in the three months to the end of March, the Cayman Islands-based company said today (20 May). Net sales increased by 79% to $817.5m over the same period. The company said that, without the costs incurred when Tingyi joined with PepsiCo, net profits were up by 12.4%.
However, Tingyi said the jump in sales was down to the deal confirmed in March last year, which saw Tingyi's beverage subsidiary became PepsiCo's franchise bottler in China.
Tingyi's overall group profits fell by 47% because of the declines in its beverage unit, however sales increased by 37%.
The company said China's overall beverage sales volumes increased by 7.7% in the quarter, signifying an “upward recovery trend” for the sector.
For its PepsiCo business, it said a move to produce smaller bottle sizes had led to overall growth.
Tingyi's share price on the Hong Kong exchange fell by 2% today.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
It's always fun for us to write up the opinions of industry observers when they posit that the next wave of consolidation in one sector or another is set to break some time soon....
The final death count of Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Philippines last week, is still a long way from being known. The relief effort is well underway, however, and drinks companies are among those th...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research