CHINA: Tingyi H1 beverage sales rise, but one-off gain hampers profits
- H1 net profits (beverages) fall 67.4% to US$87.5m
- Net sales (beverages) up 29.7% to $3.25bn
- Pre-tax profits (beverages) drop 58% to $133.8m
Beverage sales were up in H1
Tingyi Holding Corp's beverage unit has reported a healthy rise in first-half sales but profits fell as it cycled a one-off gain from last year's tie-up with PepsiCo.
Last year, the company benefited in its first half from a tie-up with PepsiCo. The US group took a 5% stake in Tingyi while selling its bottling operations to the Chinese firm.
The healthy rise in sales was due to growth from RTD tea and sales from Pepsi's bottling business, which is now 60% of the group's turnover.
Volumes of Pepsi beverages saw “double-digit growth”, the company said.
Tingyi's H1 group net profits, whose business also includes instant noodles, fell by 31.4% to $196.7m, while sales were up by 19.6% to $5.4bn.
Looking ahead to the second-half, the company said overall operations will remain “challenging” due to the state of China's economy.
To read the company's full statement, click here.
Earlier this month, The Coca-Cola Co took aim at the in-home carbonation market, through its tie-up with Green Mountain Coffee Roasters. Richard Corbett surveys the battlefield....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends