CHINA: Tingyi H1 beverage sales rise, but one-off gain hampers profits
- H1 net profits (beverages) fall 67.4% to US$87.5m
- Net sales (beverages) up 29.7% to $3.25bn
- Pre-tax profits (beverages) drop 58% to $133.8m
Beverage sales were up in H1
Tingyi Holding Corp's beverage unit has reported a healthy rise in first-half sales but profits fell as it cycled a one-off gain from last year's tie-up with PepsiCo.
Last year, the company benefited in its first half from a tie-up with PepsiCo. The US group took a 5% stake in Tingyi while selling its bottling operations to the Chinese firm.
The healthy rise in sales was due to growth from RTD tea and sales from Pepsi's bottling business, which is now 60% of the group's turnover.
Volumes of Pepsi beverages saw “double-digit growth”, the company said.
Tingyi's H1 group net profits, whose business also includes instant noodles, fell by 31.4% to $196.7m, while sales were up by 19.6% to $5.4bn.
Looking ahead to the second-half, the company said overall operations will remain “challenging” due to the state of China's economy.
To read the company's full statement, click here.
Earlier this month, The Coca-Cola Co took aim at the in-home carbonation market, through its tie-up with Green Mountain Coffee Roasters. Richard Corbett surveys the battlefield....
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future