INDIA: Tilaknagar Industries eyes Tamil Nadu with brandy deal
The brandy agreement will last 25 years
Tilaknagar Industries is aiming to push deeper into southern India after acquiring the trademarks for two brandy brands.
The deal, with Mohan Breweries and Distilleries (MBDL), will see Tilaknagar take control of Brigadier’s No. 1 Brandy and Vorion No. 1 Indian Brandy for the next 25 years, the company said today (3 June). The group will use Chennai-based Mohan's production and bottling facilities, while expanding its distribution network “to grow and tap opportunities present in the region”, it said.
The two brands sold a total of 3.2m cases in the year ended 31 March, Tilaknagar said.
Financial details of the deal were not disclosed.
“This is a truly exciting opportunity that will help us enhance our exposure to high growth markets such as Tamil Nadu,” Tilaknagar chairman & MD Amit Dahanukar said.
Meanwhile, Tilaknagar also announced today is has sold its stake in its subsidiary Shivprabha Sugars for an undisclosed sum.
In April, Indian newspapers reported that Tilaknagar, which owns the world's second-biggest selling brandy label Mansion House, was in talks with its domestic rival Allied Blenders & Distillers over a possible merger.
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research