CHINA: Tianfu Cola wins PepsiCo lawsuit - report
Tianfu Cola Group Corp has won a lawsuit against the China unit of PepsiCo on charges that its former joint-venture partner stole the recipe for its beverage, according to reports.
A court in Chongqing has ordered PepsiCo China Investment to "immediately stop selling" Tianfu Cola and "return the recipe", Shanghai Daily reported yesterday (9 December). The court rejected Tianfu's request for CNY1m (US$150,000) in damages.
It is understood that Tianfu will file another lawsuit to reclaim the Tianfu brand on the grounds that the transfer of the brand to the joint venture, Chongqing Pepsi-Tianfu Beverage Co, was invalid, according to the report.
Tianfu set up the joint-venture with PepsiCo in 1994, however because of its debts, in 2006 Tianfu had to sell its 40% stake in the joint venture to PepsiCo, while the brand of Tianfu Coke was left in the joint-venture.
PepsiCo was not available to comment on the reports when contacted by just-drinks.
PepsiCo has held on to the top spot in a chart of commercial sponsorship spenders in the US in 2010....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review