Three separate fires hit South Africa's wine lands
Four wineries in South Africa's Western Cape have been damaged by fires in the region, with a fifth, in Paarl, being "practically burnt to the ground".
The four farms - Vergelegen, Waterkloof, Morgenster and Lourensford – were hit by wild fires last week. Since then, Paarl's Druk My Niet was hit yesterday, while another fire has started between Stellenbosch and Franschhoek in the country's wine lands.
While around 40% of the 3,000-hectare Vergelegen property was affected, only 140 hectares of the farm contains vines. "There appears to be very little fire damage to that part of the farm," said trade association Wines of South Africa yesterday.
Waterkloof saw two blocks of vines hit, while some of Morgenster's higher-lying vines were damaged. Lourensford had to deal with smoke from the fires.
"Efforts are going in to monitoring the affected areas and regularly assessing the situation which is constantly changing," added WoSA.
The industry body also confirmed local reports that Druk My Niet in Paarl has been severely damaged by a separate fire. "Druk My Niet has practically burnt to the ground with most of their vineyards affected, as well as six structures including nine cottages and two guest houses," said WoSA. "According to the farm manager, Alexander McFarlane, they left with the clothes on their backs."
Still Wine (Wines) Market in South Africa - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
Still Wine (Wines) Market in South Africa - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics is a broad level market review of Still Wine market of South Africa. The research handbook provi...read more
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research