The US$16bn deal is due to complete before the middle of next week

The US$16bn deal is due to complete before the middle of next week

Beam Inc has announced that its chief financial officer and two other executives are resigning in light of the group being acquired by Suntory Holdings. 

In a filing to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Friday (18 April), the Illinois-based group said its CFO, Robert Probst, and corporate controller Leo Mierzwicki had both tendered their resignation. "In view of the impact on their roles due to the impending acquisition of the company by Suntory Holdings, each has made a personal decision to resign ... to consider other professional opportunities," the filing said. 

The sale of Beam to Japan's Suntory Holdings is expected to complete by Wednesday next week, after the US firm's shareholders last month approved the US$16bn deal

Probst will step down on 31 May, while Mierzwicki will leave on 10 July. 

Beam's North America president, William Newlands, has also decided to leave, the company said, with his last day being 31 May. However, he will be retained as a consulant for the group's North America business.