US: Three in ten Americans drink alcohol weekly - study
Nearly three in ten (29%) of Americans drink alcohol at least once a week, according to a survey by Harris Interactive.
The Harris Poll of 2,401 US adults, released yesterday (13 May), found that 6% drink daily and one in five Americans (20%) drink at least once a month.
Around 12% say they drink several times a year, 6% drink at least once a year and 8% drink alcohol less often than once a year. One-quarter (25%) of US adults say they never drink alcohol.
"Cocktails after work, having a few brews while watching a baseball game, or a nice wine with dinner are just some of the traditions Americans have when it comes to alcohol," the company said. "Two-thirds of Americans drink at least once a year and one may wonder if the number is any different in how frequently people are drinking due to economic pressures."
Harris found that men are more likely to drink alcohol at least once a week than women are (40% versus 19%). However, women are more likely to say they never drink alcohol (29% vs. 22%).
In terms of geography, Easterners are much more likely to drink foreign wine (42%), cordials (23%) and Scotch whisky (20%). Westerners, however, are much more likely to drink Tequila (32%) and Champagne (27%).
The Baltic countries have had it tougher than most in the global economic downturn, suffering double digit falls in gross domestic product. But the turmoil has not dented the ambition of Estonia-based...
Recent figures from drinks heavyweights Pernod Ricard and Diageo suggest that premium Scotch whisky sales are suffering in the economic dowturn....
The EU's Alcohol and Health Forum will hold its fifth plenary meeting this Thursday. Industry representatives are hoping the meeting will focus on actions on the ground rather than become a policy 'ta...
One of Russia's major wine distributors has slammed a Russian Government proposal to impose a state monopoly on alcohol sales in the country....
Read the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Spirits group Central European Distribution Corporation (CEDC) has commenced a public offering of 9.5m shares of its common stock, as it looks to raise finance for its acquisition of Russian Alcohol....
Cheaper alcoholic drinks brands will be hit hardest by plans to restore value added tax to its standard 17.5% rate in the UK, an analyst has told just-drinks....
Here are five facts on Estonian drinks firm AS Livico....
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Carlsberg "most likely" to buy Grolsch, Peroni
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- A-B InBev embroiled in Caribbean "poison-pill" row
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts