This week in beer & cider, featuring the world's first zero-carbon brewery, Molson Coors' Miller potential in LatAm and Diageo's Smirnoff cider
The week in beer and cider on just-drinks
Do you ever get the feeling that something's not quite right? I got that feeling last month: It was at Lyon's Grand Stade, just before kick-off for the final game of European rugby's Champion's Cup, and all appeared in place: the crowd hushed, the players tensed, the referee's whistle poised. But, as the advertising boards that enclosed the pitch cycled through their usual litany of airline, watch manufacture and beer brand, one message seemed slightly off-kilter.
The drinks industry appears to be holding its breath as the Central Bank of Nigeria plans to float the Naira currency from 20 June.
A new study has found a large disparity between what industry executives think customers want and what customers say they require.
Authorities in Russia have passed a law to limit the size of beer bottles in the country to a maximum of 1.5 litres, in a bid to cut excessive drinking.
Skin cancers, whether melanoma, basal cell, or squamous cell, are all increased by ultra-violet rays of the sun, and such cancers are much more common in areas of the world with more sun exposure. The risk of such cancers, however, is higher among individuals reporting excessive tanning.
Heineken has relaunched one of its breweries after a 13-year overhaul to turn it into the world's first zero-carbon brewery.
Late last year, Molson Coors confirmed its intention to buy out SABMiller from their MillerCoors US joint venture for US$12bn. As part of the deal, Molson Coors will take control of the Miller brand portfolio globally.
Diageo has released two variants of Smirnoff Cider, a blend of carbonated cider, fruit flavours and Smirnoff vodka.
The international spirits category is in danger of splitting in two as continued solid growth for premium brands glossed over big declines elsewhere, new IWSR figures for 2015 show.
The US's top brewery workers union has accused MillerCoors of shutting down its Eden brewery in North Carolina to stop it falling into a rival's hands.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research