UK: Thierry's buys back KWV shares
Thierry's, the UK's leading independent wine importer, has carried out a buyback of KWV's shares in its business.
The "mutually beneficial" deal will allow both companies to "focus on core strengths", Thierry's said today (13 February).
"We have learnt a lot from our partnership with KWV and we are delighted to continue our distribution arrangement with one of South Africa's largest and most consistent wine companies," said managing director Ged Welch. "We will continue to work closely with KWV and are proud to continue to distribute their wines in the UK."
Following the deal, Thierry's shareholders, Ged Welch, Matthew Dickinson, Lindsay Talas, Dominique Vrigneau and Hatim Dungarwalla, will each own equal parts of the company.
Thys Loubser, CEO of KWV, described the restructuring of his company's distribution in the UK as a "win-win situation".
"With full ownership of the business in Thierry's hands, we look forward to a focused and dedicated service provider to represent KWV's strong portfolio in the UK market," Loubser said.
Financial details of the deal were not disclosed.
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Danie de Wet has resigned as chairman of South African drinks giant KWV, which is in the process of changing its name while unbundling its financial and operational interests....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends