The World Whiskies Conference - quote, unquote Day 2
The best quotes from day two of the World Whiskies Conference in London. See our previous entry for quotes from yesterday (20 April) and see the just-drinks blog for a brief roundup of news we've picked up in and around the conference hall.
"Spain: Jesus," Dave Broom, whisky writer and tasting expert, on the sales decline for Scotch whisky in Spain over the last 12 months.
"Although I'm Scottish, I'm not a pessimist," Dave Broom.
"To think that the sky is falling in on the Scotch whisky industry [because of the economic downturn] would be absolutely crazy. It's a long-term business. We've been here before and we know how to handle it," Diageo Classic Malts marketing director Nick Morgan.
"The real issue is brands. I don't think that people really drink categories, I think they drink brands. People who invest in their brands are going to do very well," David King, Berry Bros & Rudd.
"We've got GBP500 to GBP600m of investment coming on-line in three, five, ten or 15 years. That whisky's got to find a home," Campbell Evans, of the Scotch Whisky Association.
"A whisky conference? Look - I'd much rather be in there," anonymous delegate passing by to attend a neighbouring medical conference.
The best quotes from day two of the World Whiskies Conference in London. See our previous entry for quotes from yesterday (20 April) and see the just-drinks blog for a brief roundup of news we've pick...
As Pernod Ricard names a new brand director for its gin brands, a recently published report from just-drinks/IWSR suggests it will not be an easy category from which to extract growth. Ben Cooper repo...
Scotch whisky distillers have welcomed the signing of a free trade deal between the EU and South Korea, which will see cuts to import tax on their products....
Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers unit has launched this year's limited edition bottling of its flagship Chivas Regal Scotch whisky brand....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
The duty-free industry's most important annual trade show, the Tax Free World Association (TFWA) World Exhibition, celebrates its 25th anniversary in Cannes next week. This US$37bn global business has...
Diageo has confirmed a shake-up of its executive team in North America, and the appointment of a global chief for its Tequila portfolio....
Diageo has reported a 6% fall in sales for its first fiscal quarter, but the drinks giant maintained profits guidance for the year....
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014