US: The Wine Group targets Millenial consumers
The Wine Group has created a division to focus on the so-called Millenial group of wine consumers.
The management-owned company, which is based in San Francisco, said on Friday (14 July) that it has formed Underdog Wine Merchants to craft, market and sell premium wines to the Millennial consumer group of young adults.
Underdog Wine Merchants will be an autonomous organisation within the company. The brand portfolio includes what TWG has termed 'millennial' brands such as Pinot Evil from France, Killer Juice from the Central Coast, Silverbirch from New Zealand and Devil's Marbles from Australia.
Fritz Lance, who has spent 20 years working for E&J Gallo, has been named president of the unit, while Adam Richardson will be the international winemaker. Richardson has been the estate winemaker at TWG's Concannon Vineyard in California for the past three harvests and will continue in that role.
Craig Calders and Wes Alexander have been named directors of western and eastern sales, respectively. Calders was most recently regional sales manager at Wine Warehouse and Alexander was division manager at Paterno Imports. Suzannah Saidy, whose recent experience includes roles as buyer at Williams-Sonoma and product manager at GAP, Inc., has been named marketing director.
"Underdog Wine Merchants is an extension of our market strategy of producing high-quality affordable wines which are available wherever the consumer chooses to purchase wine," said TWG's CEO, David Kent.
The Wine Group was founded in 1981 by a management buy-out of the wine assets of The Coca-Cola Bottling Company of New York, and is the world's third-largest wine producer by volume.
After six months as vice president and general manager for Europe at E&J Gallo, Devinder Singh is upbeat about his role and the international prospects for his company. He met with Olly Wehring to dis...
Two Cadbury Schweppes bottlers in the US have agreed to handle the Cinnabon latte brand in 33 states after their parent signed a deal with BYB Brands....
Heineken USA has appointed two regional managers....
Vinexpo is hoping to have a full house ahead of next year's event in June....
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. has posted a huge drop in net income for its third quarter as a fall in demand for carbonated beverages took its toll....
Trentino's leading wine-making co-operative, Cavit, is on the brink of losing one of its star co-ops....
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated has posted a slump in its earnings for the year so far....
Central European Distribution Corporation has snapped up yet another beverage alcohol distributor in Poland....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research