US/SWEDEN: The Wine Group bullish over V&S spat
The Wine Group has insisted it is "extremely confident" that an appeal from V&S Group over the rights to the Golden Gate wine brand will fail.
The California-based company, the world's third-largest wine producer by volume, has been battling it out with V&S in the Swedish courts over the rights to Golden Gate.
Last week, a court in Sweden ruled that V&S had infringed the trademark rights for the brand and said Golden Gate, the best-selling white wine in Sweden, belongs to Golden State Vintners (GSV), a wine producer bought by The Wine Group in 2004.
V&S has vowed to appeal but Chris Thompson, managing director, Europe for The Wine Group, has dismissed the possibility that the Absolut vodka producer will prevail.
He said V&S had falsely registered the Golden Gate trademark and broken its supply agreement with Golden State Vintners.
"V&S does not have a leg to stand on," Thompson told just-drinks today (16 January). "At first they concocted a totally false story that the brand had been developed internally at V&S, but this story collapsed under court discovery.
"The written agreement clearly stated that V&S could use GSV's Golden Gate brand in exchange for V&S bottling the brand exclusively with GSV supplied wines. I don't know why V&S chose not to honour the agreement, but clearly it was violated when V&S secretly registered the trademark in Sweden."
Thompson said The Wine Group had tried to settle the dispute with V&S three times but was "rebuffed" on each occasion.
The Wine Group is "extremely confident" its rights over the Golden Gate name would be confirmed on appeal, he said.
"This was not a difficult case to decide. We were awarded our attorney costs, I would suspect in large part, because V&S had no evidence to support their somewhat bizarre claim that GSV simply gave away the brand and did not care if authentic Golden Gate wines were used under the trademark or not."
There has rarely been dull moment in recent years for anyone concerned with Stolichnaya, with a long-running rights dispute over the brand name, a switch to bottling the brand outside Russia and the t...
With interest surrounding the likely sale of Swedish spirits producer V&S Group growing by the day, there could be no better time to look at the company's flagship vodka brand Absolut and the opportun...
Soft drinks producers are seeking increasingly exotic ingredients, notably fruits, for new product ideas. But, writes Annette Farr, novel foods legislation in the EU could stifle such innovation, prev...
Poor weather and price-led competition have led C&C Group to predict a "weak" second quarter. And, whilst the Irish drinks group is still expecting strong volume growth for the full year in the UK it ...
The former executive director of Diageo Scotland has been appointed chairman of Scotland Food & Drink....
The Winemakers' Federation of Australia has said that its intervention in a legal case has resulted in additional protection for Australian wine companies exporting to the UK via commercial agents....
Drinks Americas has announced that it is to add a range of flavoured variants to the Trump Super Premium Vodka brand next month....
Scottish & Newscastle UK is to introduce the Finnish premium cider brand Upcider Pear onto the UK market....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends