CANADA: The Second Cup Ltd. Annnounces First Quarter Results
The Second Cup Ltd. (TSE:SKL) today announced its results for the first quarter ended September 16, 2000. Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) totaled $2.2 million, an 8.8 per cent increase over the prior year's results. Systemwide sales rose by 8.2 per cent to $37.3 million and same store sales decreased slightly by 0.7 per cent. Net earnings for the quarter were unchanged at $1 million, or 11 cents per share reflecting increased interest expense of $225,000 compared with last year. This resulted from the payment of a special dividend of $2 per share carried out on May 31, 2000. Seven new cafes were opened in the first quarter resulting in Second Cup exceeding the 400 cafe plateau. The Company reduced debt by more than $2.5 million to $10.7 million during the quarter using cash generated from operations and cash reserves. "Our first quarter results continue to reflect Second Cup's position as Canada's leading specialty coffee retailer," says Alton McEwen, Chief Executive Officer of Second Cup. The Company remains committed to growth and will place emphasis on building sales, earnings and share value. "We continue to grow our network of new cafes and expect to open 25 to 30 new cafes during the coming year," says Mr. McEwen. "We're looking forward to leveraging our strong brand equity and continuing to grow our business as we move forward," he concludes. The Second Cup Ltd. trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol SKL. As the leading specialty coffee company in Canada, Second Cup offers the world's finest coffee through more than 400 owner-operated cafes across the country and select marketing partners including Air Canada, VIA Rail and Delta Hotels.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends