Product Launch - US: The Sazerac Co's Expresiones del Corazon Tequila
Click through to view The Sazerac Co's Expresiones del Corazon
The Sazerac Co's Expresiones del Corazon Tequila
Category - Spirits, Tequila, whiskey-barrel-aged, 40% abv
Available - From June
Location - US, nation-wide
Price - From US$59.99 to $89.99 per 75cl bottle
The Sazerac Co's has released five whiskey-barrel-aged Tequilas under its Gemini Spirits & Wine unit.
Expresiones del Corazon comprises Buffalo Trace Reposado, George T. Stagg Anejo, Sazerac Rye Anejo, Old Rip Van Winkle Anejo and Blanco. They are all aged in barrels from the Buffalo Trace Distillery and made at the Casa San Matias Distillery in the Los Altos region of Jalisco.
Only 6,000 bottles of each expression are available, Sazerac said yesterday (16 May).
In February, Sazerac launched Epic Vodka, which is distilled in the Cognac region of France with wheat from Champagne.
CORAZON TEQUILA INTRODUCES EXPRESIONES DEL CORAZON
Barrel Aged Tequila Uses the Best of Buffalo Trace’s Barrels –
Stagg, Sazerac 18 and Van Winkle
Chicago, IL (May 16, 2013) – What if you were to take bourbon barrels that have held some of the most coveted and highly awarded whiskies in the world – George T. Stagg, Old Rip Van Winkle, Sazerac 18 Year Old and Buffalo Trace, and age tequila in them? Even better, what if the Master Distiller who created these fine whiskies hand selected these barrels based on his knowledge and expertise of terroir and barrel aging?
Corazon Tequila has done just that – and is introducing Expresiones del Corazon, a limited, high end tequila collection aged in barrels from the most highly decorated Distillery in the world, Buffalo Trace, and made at the Casa San Matias Distillery located in the Los Altos region of Jalisco. Offered in five unique expressions: Buffalo Trace Reposado, George T. Stagg Anejo, Sazerac Rye Anejo, Old Rip Van Winkle Anejo, and Blanco, each bottle is individually numbered and hand wrapped in tissue paper, reminiscent of Buffalo Trace’s famed Antique Collection.
The Corazon brand, which falls under the Sazerac Company umbrella through its Gemini Spirits & Wine division, was able to form a unique partnership between the tequila and bourbon industry, bringing together industry experts from both sides who all share a common passion: to make the best spirits in the world. The joining of experts Miguel Cedeno Cruz, presidential consultant on tequila production, Master Distiller Mario Echanove, Luis Alberto Hernandez Gutierrez, renowned agave cultivator, Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley, and David Grapshi, Tequila National Sales Manager for Gemini Spirits and Wine, resulted in the creation of these five remarkable Expresiones del Corazon:
· Buffalo Trace Reposado – After aging 10.5 months in Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrels, the result is a Reposado pale and golden in color with a sweet aroma and floral and herbal notes. The taste is laced with a touch of spice, caramel and vanilla. 80 proof.
· George T. Stagg Anejo – 22 months in George T. Stagg Bourbon barrels leaves this Anejo light amber in color and strong, spicy, and easy to drink. The aroma is bright fruitiness and herbal notes, followed by a balanced taste with the flavors of cinnamon, chocolate and green apple. 80 proof.
· Sazerac Rye Anejo – After 24 months in Sazerac Rye Whiskey barrels, a medium amber color and a lively aroma of strawberry with butterscotch and wood is left behind. The taste delivers velvety sweetness, caramel, nuts and citrus flavors. 90 proof.
· Old Rip Van Winkle Anejo – 23 months in the wood of Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon barrels left this Anejo far from sleepy in taste with its creamy notes of oak, almond, and vanilla. Its aroma of lemon, tea, ginger and herbal notes complements its rich gold color. 80 proof.
· Blanco – Shiny silver in color with an aroma of cooked agave, herbal, citrus, aniseed and notes of green apple deliver a sweet, soft, mint, eucalyptus and slightly tangy taste in 80 proof alcohol.
The same quality that is used in creating and aging the spirits in the barrels from Buffalo Trace Distillery is echoed in the creation of Expressions del Corazon. Using 100% blue agave from the highlands of Jalisco in Mexico, the brix was measured to determine sugar levels before harvest, rather than a traditional clear cut. Two sets of agave were harvested, one with a lower sugar content and flavored a little drier, and one with a higher sugar content considered a little sweeter for agave, resulting in more floral notes. The result was a harmonization of the two sets of agave in the amazing Blanco, which was then used as the base for the other four Expressions noted above. The agave was then slow cooked in stone ovens, infused with oxygen to further enhance the flavor and aroma, and then double distilled. During the aging process of the Reposado and Anejo, samples were tested every 60 days to evaluate flavor, color, complexity and viscosity.
“What really brought the project together was the passion we all have for producing the highest quality spirits possible,” said David Grapshi, Tequila National Sales Manager for Gemini Spirits and Wine. “Both the Casa San Matias Distillery and the Buffalo Trace Distillery are two highly regarded distilleries that between them, have more than 360 years of distilling experience. That industry knowledge, combined with the passion of the team involved, resulted in this wonderful collaboration of five stand out tequilas. Each of them infuses together the sweetness of tequila with the rough charm from the bourbon barrel, resulting in a unique flavor profile that both whiskey and tequila fans alike will treasure.”
Expresiones del Corazon will be available nationally in mid-late June. Quantities are limited, with only 6,000 bottles of each variety available. Suggested retail prices range from $59.99 to $89.99, depending on expression.
Original source: Company Release
This latest global category insights report from just-drinks/IWSR suggests that: "Liqueurs brand owners need to shout about the crucial role their products play in classic and modern cocktail recipes ...
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- ForEx bites, but Heineken hails strong 2016
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends