Product Launch - UK: The London Distillery Company's Dodd's Gin
Click through to view The London Distillery Company's Dodd's Gin
The London Distillery Company's Dodd's Gin
Category - Spirits, gin, 49.9% abv
Available - From 2 April
Location - Initially in UK, exporting “in the coming months”
Price - GBP36.95 (US$56) per 50cl bottle
Distribution - Direct from London Distillery Co
The London Distillery Company's has unveiled its first London-crafted gin.
Botanicals include juniper, angelica, fresh lime peel, bay laurel, cardamom, red raspberry leaf and honey, the company said today (26 March). It is exclusively available from Fortnum & Mason from 2 April for a two-week period, after which it is available online and in the on- and off-trade.
Last year London Distillery launched a batch of experimental gins called Testbed1.
The London Distillery Company has announced the release of its first London-crafted gin. Developed at the new distillery in Battersea, London, Dodd’s Gin pays tribute to Ralph Dodd, an 18th century born entrepreneur and engineer, who formed The Intended London Distillery Company in 1807. Dodd’s business prospectus detailed his commitment to produce Genuine British Spirits and whilst he never quite fulfilled his visionary project, his aspirations are finally being realised over 200 years later by The London Distillery Company.
The small batch gin, created by Head Distiller Andrew MacLeod Smith and Founder Darren Rook, uses organic* botanicals, which include: juniper, angelica, fresh lime peel, bay laurel, cardamom, red raspberry leaf and London honey**.
A significant proportion of the ingredients are first distilled in ‘Christina’, a traditional 140-litre copper alembic, with the more delicate botanicals being reserved for ‘Little Albion’, The London Distillery Company’s state-of-the-art cold vacuum still. The two spirits are then married for several weeks before being hand-bottled and labelled by the team at the distillery.
Darren Rook comments: “We came across Ralph Dodd and his story whilst investigating former distilleries in London, almost a year to the day after founding The London Distillery Company. Dodd’s ethos about creating Genuine British Spirits was akin to ours, so we felt it fitting that our first London produced brand was dedicated to him.”
Andrew MacLeod Smith adds: “Any distiller will tell you that it takes many months of research and development to create an innovative, premium organic spirit, and Dodd’s was no different. For example, we distilled several types of honey, from all areas of the UK, but found that the complex honey produced by urban bees in London gave the spirit a luxurious mouthfeel and added a delightful top note, which compliments the rest of the aromatics perfectly.”
Dodd’s Gin is non-chill filtered, bottled at 49.9% ABV and will be available in 50cl bottles at an RRP of £36.95. It is exclusively available from iconic retailer Fortnum & Mason from 2 April for a two week period, after which, Dodd’s Gin will be available online from www.londondistillery.com and from all good drinking establishments and independent retailers.
Original source: Company Release
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends