RESEARCH: The hunt for fresh orange juice taste
Scientists from the USA's Agricultural Research Service are trying to improve the taste of reconstituted orange juice in order to match the flavour of freshly squeezed orange juice that most consumers prefer.
To do this, researchers had to isolate 40 "flavour aroma compounds" that make freshly squeezed OJ taste the way it does. These elements were then introduced to a deodorised form of orange juice, and given to taste testers.
Tasters had to describe the different smells, which they said varied from paint thinner to the scent of roses. The researchers will now mix and match combinations of compounds to allow manufacturers to better mimic that freshly squeezed taste.
Companies such as Tropicana and Coca-Cola North America have shown interest in the project and have agreed to support it.
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
Tropicana Products has appointed a new chief marketing officer....
Tropicana is adding a new orange drink with additional fibre to its portfolio....
Tropicana has said that it plans to increase retail prices of its orange juice from January, according to press reports....
PepsiCo is to change the labelling on two of its Tropicana drinks lines....
PepsiCo-owned Tropicana has launched a range of premium fruit juices called 'Tropicana Sensations' to grow in Spain's booming health-juice market....
PepsiCo has reported a 15% increase in second-quarter earnings per share to US$0.70, as non-carbonate drinks rescued a poorer performance by the CSD brands....
The Pepsi Bottling Group today reported second quarter net income of US$148m, or diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.59. The results were up on the same period last year as the company grew volumes...
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research