RESEARCH: The hunt for fresh orange juice taste
Scientists from the USA's Agricultural Research Service are trying to improve the taste of reconstituted orange juice in order to match the flavour of freshly squeezed orange juice that most consumers prefer.
To do this, researchers had to isolate 40 "flavour aroma compounds" that make freshly squeezed OJ taste the way it does. These elements were then introduced to a deodorised form of orange juice, and given to taste testers.
Tasters had to describe the different smells, which they said varied from paint thinner to the scent of roses. The researchers will now mix and match combinations of compounds to allow manufacturers to better mimic that freshly squeezed taste.
Companies such as Tropicana and Coca-Cola North America have shown interest in the project and have agreed to support it.
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
Tropicana Products has appointed a new chief marketing officer....
Tropicana is adding a new orange drink with additional fibre to its portfolio....
Tropicana has said that it plans to increase retail prices of its orange juice from January, according to press reports....
PepsiCo is to change the labelling on two of its Tropicana drinks lines....
PepsiCo-owned Tropicana has launched a range of premium fruit juices called 'Tropicana Sensations' to grow in Spain's booming health-juice market....
PepsiCo has reported a 15% increase in second-quarter earnings per share to US$0.70, as non-carbonate drinks rescued a poorer performance by the CSD brands....
The Pepsi Bottling Group today reported second quarter net income of US$148m, or diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.59. The results were up on the same period last year as the company grew volumes...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages