SOUTH AFRICA: The Distillers-Stellenbosch Farmers' Winery (SFW) merger temporarily on ice
SFW was due to delist on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange at close of office today and be listed jointly with Distillers Corporation on Monday in a deal valued at R515 million ($68m)."We have postponed the delisting on the JSE until next Friday and are waiting with bated breath for the judgement regarding the interdict brought in the Cape High Court by Seagram SA," said SFW spokesman Bennie Howard."If the judgement is given early next week and is in our favour then we will proceed with the delisting at the end of next week," said Howard.Justice Thabani Jali heard Seagram's application for an interdict against the merger on Friday 10 November.Counsel for both parties argued the merits of the South African Competitions Act and whether it applied to the merger.Distillers Corp and SFW gave notice of intent to merge in April this year and have been involved in negotiations since. They formalised the announcement in the media in mid-September and the actions against the merger have sprouted since then.Distillers-SFW argued that because both companies had the same majority shareholders, namely the Rupert owned Rembrandt Group and KWV, through a holding company Rembrandt-KWV Investments and that such a merger was tantamount to a restructuring of the group. South African Breweries also has a 30% stake in each company.Seagram countered that both companies were separate legal entities, which competed against each other for many years in South Africa. As such they were not just restructuring, but merging and so forming a virtual monopoly in the South African wine and spirits market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China