US: The Coca-Cola Co sued over VitaminWater claims
Lawyers and a consumer advocacy group are suing The Coca-Cola Co, accusing the soft drinks giant of deceptive marketing on its VitaminWater drink.
VitaminWater is marketed as a healthy alternative but each bottle contains 33g of sugar, which may raise the risk of obesity and associated health problems, such as diabetes, allege the complainants.
A lawsuit has been filed in California by law groups Whatley Drake & Kallas LLC and Reese Richman LLP, in co-ordination with the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), the groups said today (15 January).
Patrick Sheehan, lawyer for Whatley Drake & Kallas, accused Coca-Cola of "deliberately deceiving" consumers.
"This is a ridiculous and ludicrous lawsuit," said a Coca-Cola spokesperson today, accusing the CSPI of "grandstanding" in order to gain publicity.
The lawsuit follows a warning to Coca-Cola from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in December, regarding the firm's Diet Coke Plus drink, which contains added vitamins.
FDA has told Coca-Cola to change its the product's name and said that adding functional ingredients to carbonated soft drinks was "not appropriate". Coca-Cola has disputed the FDA's findings.
Tata Tea has selected DSC Logistics as its US distribution partner....
Grand Marnier parent company Marnier-Lapostolle has announced a new senior sales team....
Coca-Cola Co has launched the latest in its series of Nascar-related adverts for Coca-Cola Zero, to coincide with the brand's fourth anniversary....
Coca-Cola Co's subsidiary for Inner Mongolia, the autonomous region affiliated to China, is to open a US$19m bottling plant....
Read the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Coca-Cola Co. has opened two bottling facilities in China this week....
The Coca-Cola Co. is offering consumers in the US the chance to win a US$250,000 home in California....
The Coca-Cola Co has agreed to break ties with the Nestea brand in Brazil, in order to gain regulatory approval for its acquisition of RTD tea producer Leao Junior....
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends