TAIWAN: The Coca-Cola Co stands by 'Zero' safety
The ban relates to Coke Zero ingredients Methyl Para-hydroxybenzoate and Sodium Methyl Para-hydroxybenzoate
Methyl Para-hydroxybenzoate and Sodium Methyl Para-hydroxybenzoate, which are used to make Coke Zero, are banned in Taiwan due to their alleged side effects. The preservatives are said to cause "stomach upsets and raise female hormone levels", the Shanghai Daily reported.
The soft drinks giant said today (18 July), however, that it "maintains the highest quality standards" for its beverages and that its products are "safe for consumption". The preservatives are permitted by many countries including mainland China, Hong Kong and the US, Coca-Cola noted.
"These ingredients are widely used as a permitted additive in food and drink, but Taiwan's laws and regulations do not permit their use in carbonated drinks," the company said in a statement.
According to the Hong Kong Commercial Daily, Coca-Cola Taiwan has said that the batch of Coke Zero ingredients were transported to Taiwan "by mistake." The company said its products in Taiwan did not use the preservative.
Last week, the French authorities carried out their threat and introduced a tax on CSDs. Richard Corbett believes, however, that the French should look north, to Denmark, to see how effective - or not...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Piper-Heidsieck agrees three-year Oscars tie-up
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets