The Coca-Cola Co relaunches Hi-C Ecto Cooler
Hi-C Ecto Cooler was first launched in 1987 for the original Ghostbusters movie
The Coca-Cola Co has said it has again listened to consumer demand as it brings back the 1980s fruit juice-flavoured drink Hi-C Ecto Cooler.
The company, which claims it returned the citrus drink Surge to US shelves in 2014 after "persistent" demand, will roll out Hi-C Ecto Cooler ahead of the launch of the new Ghostbusters movie on 30 May. The original Ecto Cooler, part of the Minute Maid range, was initially part of a promotional tie-in with the first Ghostbusters movie in 1987 but proved so popular it was only discontinued in 2001.
"[Ghostbusters producer] Sony Pictures was extremely enthusiastic about bringing Ecto Cooler back for this special occasion, and the timing of the upcoming Ghostbusters film made this the exact right time," Coca-Cola said.
The company said websites dedicated to 1980s and '90s nostalgia have name-checked the brand, and "a growing legion of social media fan groups have clamoured for a comeback".
"Those communities, fuelled by lobbying support from Sony Pictures, convinced Coca-Cola to give the brand a curtain call," it added.
Hi-C Ecto Cooler will be sold in 10-packs of 6-ounce juice boxes and in 6- and 12-packs of 11.5oz aluminium cans. The cans, which will be available in selected locations including major online retailers, feature thermal ink printing technology that turns green when chilled.
Surge was relaunched through a partnership with online retailer Amazon. It is now available in selected stores across the US.
Analysts have trumpeted Coca-Cola Zero Sugar as well as Coca-Cola European Partners' non-CSD offerings as the group's key growth drivers in 2016....
The Coca-Cola Co plans to speed up its refranchising efforts in order to have 100% of company-owned bottlers refranchised in the US by the end of 2017. In doing so, the company will be able to return ...
PepsiCo Inc and The Coca-Cola Co have long dominated sports drinks with their respective Gatorade and Powerade brands and their low-calorie versions, although signs of change were evident in 2015 and ...
In recent years RTD coffee has been dramatically redefined by beverage manufacturers through the advent of cold brew coffee. Cold brew coffee is coffee brewed without heat, with coffee grounds steeped...
Over the past decade sales of concentrates have been boosted by new product development and increased consumer thriftiness in the face of challenging economic conditions. Over 2007-2010, powder concen...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends