US: The Coca-Cola Co drops classic from Coke labels
The Coca-Cola Co is to remove the word "classic" from its flagship Coca-Cola brand, because it is no longer needed.
The soft drinks giant said today (30 January) that it was removing the word 'classic' after more than two decades.
A spokesperson said that "when people think Coke they think classic", which means that "the 'reason for being' for the addition of 'classic' as a descriptor has all but disappeared".
The group added that removing the word would bring Coca-Cola products in North America in-line with those elsewhere around the world.
The spokesperson said: "We are taking very deliberate steps to ensure that folks understand that the Coca-Cola they love remains unchanged, including adding the phrase 'Coke classic original formula' to primary and secondary packaging."
The Coca-Cola Co posted a healthy 16% lift in first half net profits this week, ahead of PepsiCo's 2% drop. Michelle Russell examines the fortunes of the two rivals....
The confirmation on Monday (13 July) that Japan's two largest drinks companies - Kirin and Suntory - are in discussions on merging their operations may have caught the industry by surprise, but the re...
Indian Bottled water giant Bisleri is seeking an out-of-court settlement in its 14-year-old intellectual property rights battle with Coca-Cola Co over the Mazaa brand....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
The Coca-Cola Co. has confirmed four executive changes....
Coca-Cola Co has said that it will test its new 100-beverage fountain dispenser, Coca-Cola Freestyle, in southern California....
The Coca-Cola Co. has posted a healthy lift in net profits for the first half of this year, despite a dip in sales and operating profits in the period....
Coca-Cola Co's second largest bottler in Mexico and Latin America, Embotelladoras Arca, has reported net sales up by nearly 19% in the first half of 2009....
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- Spirits volumes slide in Global Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages