CHILE: The Coca-Cola Co counters Redux Cocaine trademark
Cocaine Energy launched at the New York City Fashion Week in September 2006
The Coca-Cola Co has filed an opposition to a trademark application by Redux Beverages for its Cocaine Energy drink in Chile.
US-based Redux Beverages launched Cocaine Energy at the New York City Fashion Week in September 2006. Since then, the company said it has "achieved enormous media exposure and an intensely loyal fan base".
However, in a filing with Chile's Instituto Nacional de Propiedad Industrial (INPI) last month, The Coca-Cola Co countered the trademark application on the grounds of morality and unfair competition.
The soft drinks giant argued that "the referenced trademark would infringe fair competition" and "lead consumers to confusion".
"It is inexplicable that [the] applicant intends to identify their 'energy drinks' under the name of a prohibited drug," the filing noted.
Nonetheless, Redux Beverages' founder Jamey Kirby, said in a statement today (20 April), "We have already captured a significant market share in Chile. Our brand is achieving outstanding growth in the country."
According to Kirby, there is no requirement for trademark registration to sell beverages in Chile, and Coca-Cola has not filed any claim of this kind against Cocaine Energy's trademark fillings in the US.
Redux Beverages recently secured the trademark for Cocaine Energy in Mexico with no opposition from Coca-Cola.
A copy of the filing (in Spanish) can be found here.
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research