The Coca-Cola Co calls time on NBA sponsorship, PepsiCo steps in
Coca-Cola said it has sponsored the NBA for 28 years
The Coca-Cola Co has ended its 28-year sponsorship of the NBA in the US, with PepsiCo set to replace its rival as the basketball league's exclusive beverage partner.
Coca-Cola said today that it has decided not to renew the NBA deal at the end of the current season, which ends in June. The company told just-drinks it wants instead to focus on its "most effective and efficient investments" but that it will remain in basketball through its sponsorship of NBA players.
Meanwhile, PepsiCo confirmed earlier reports that it has signed a "multi-year" deal with the NBA to become its exclusive food and beverage partner.
PepsiCo did not give financial details but a report in Sports Business Daily said the deal included an activation commitment that was many times bigger than Coca-Cola's. The commitment for China is larger than the one for North America, the report added.
The deal includes sponsorship of the NBA, Women's National Basketball Association, NBA Development League and USA Basketball beginning next season, PepsiCo said.
PepsiCo will focus much of its NBA marketing on its Mountain Dew brands.
UPDATE: This article was updated on 13 April to include PepsiCo's confirmation of the deal.
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends