UK/US: Thatchers Gold to debut in US after Innis & Gunn tie-up
Martin Thatcher and Innis & Gunn's US MD Dan Deluca
Thatchers is launching its 'Gold' cider brand in the US after signing a three-year distribution tie-up with Scottish brewer Innis & Gunn.
Under the agreement, which kicks-off this month, Innis & Gunn will take on all administrative, marketing and promotional support for Thatchers’ flagship 4.8% abv brand through its US subsidiary. Financial details of the tie-up were not disclosed.
Martin Thatcher, MD of the Somerset-based firm, said: “The reputation of crafted English cider is rapidly spreading in the US.
“With this continued growth in understanding and awareness of cider, the time is now right for Thatchers Gold to enter this exciting US market and engage with those consumers seeking out new and interesting brands."
Sales of hard cider have tripled in the US in the last three years, but the segement is still less than 1% of the country's entire beer market.
Figures published by the National Beer Wholesalers Association (NBWA) in July showed that volumes of domestic cider in the first four months of 2014 were up 74%, but import volumes fell by 11%.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Irish whisky exports forecast to double by 2020
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits