UK: Thatchers Cider appoints director
Thatchers Cider has appointed Rupert Thompson as a non-executive director in the UK.
With around 30 years experience in the brewing industry, Thompson was previously brand director for Carling, and has also developed the bottled ale Old Speckled Hen for regional brewer Morland, the company said yesterday (21 September).
Managing director Martin Thatcher said: "There are not many people who can offer such impressive industry knowledge as Rupert. We are delighted that he has agreed to join us at Thatchers."
In 2000, Thompson set up Refresh UK which took over the Ushers beer brands, and subsequently the Wychwood Brewery and the Brakspear brands. It went on to become a supplier of speciality premium ales in the UK. After selling Refresh UK to Marstons, Rupert established his own independent consultancy.
Thatcher added: "We are extremely fortunate to benefit from the knowledge and experience that Rupert brings. With consumers continuing to look for innovative and exciting products, like the new Thatchers Katy Rosé, and with some further interesting ideas in the pipeline, we are looking forward to developing our portfolio of premium ciders for both the on and off trades."
Back in March, Thatchers rolled out pink cider Katy into the UK market. Katy Rosé is made from English Katy apples and has a lower ABV (5.4%) than the traditional Thatchers Katy at 7.4%.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review